Katog Choling's 17th Annual Shedra will be an at-home practice and study retreat with Khentrul Rinpoche live online. This format takes advantage of the excellent opportunity provided by our current reality, which is fraught with outer, inner, and secret obstacles, as a means to greatly increase the power of our mind training in practice.
For years now, we have studied and put effort into practicing mind training texts such as The Seven Key Points of Mind Training. This occasion is a chance to achieve new strengths and depths of personal experience. Never before have we done a practice retreat on mind training together. By doing a retreat according to the pith instructions of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo and others, mind training will easily be born within us. In addition, in the future, we can do a more personal and strict retreat on mind training ourselves to take our experience to a whole new level. Finally, we will learn how to fully integrate taming our mind through formal practice sessions, informal training, and throughout all circumstances, so that we are never separated from the principles of mind training and can always extract the most benefit and meaning from whatever arises in our lives. These are just a few of the many benefits we will gain from participating in this retreat, which is one of the most valuable of all valuable things to which we could dedicate our time.
Pre-Requisites for Attending
- In the best case scenario, you have heard teachings on the entire text of The Seven Key Points of Mind Training.
- In the second best case, you have heard teachings on The Seven Key Points of Mind Training up to the end of the Second Key Point, the main practice, which is tonglen.
- At the very minimum, you have heard teachings on tonglen practice, the practice of the four immeasurables, and the practice of four branches of loving-kindness and compassion.
* Because this is a practice retreat, the above prerequisites are mandatory
. If you have not previously studied these teachings - or if you would like to review them, which is also encouraged - the recordings can be obtained by contacting Kathy Bond at [email protected]
Set up a clean and inviting space in your home with a comfortable meditation seat to do the practice live with Rinpoche at the set times. Ideally, you have a personal shrine and make daily offerings on the retreat days. For those of you who do not have a formal shrine set up, the live video streams will take place from the shrine in the main temple at Katog Rithrod, and daily offerings will be made and present as a support for all.
You will need the following texts for the retreat. They can be purchased by contacting Kathy Lung at [email protected]
- A Treasury of Blessing, Shakyamuni Buddha Practice Text (called Tub-chok in Tibetan).
- The Tonglen text printed by Katog Choling called bodhichitta practice text and titled The Radiant Sun of Benefit for All.
- The Prayers Before and After Teachings booklets (not the handouts, the actual booklets).
In addition, the following texts will be delivered to you via email a few days before the event.
- The Prayer for Magnetizing All Wishes (called Wangdu Soldep in Tibetan).
- Various special mind training dedication and aspiration prayers.